Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Spinach and Garlic Pizza

Tonight I made a Spinach and Garlic Pizza with Oat Bran Whole Wheat Crust. Actually, I made four and froze three of them. It took very little time to make the other three, and now I have supper for a few days. I referenced a pizza dough recipe from Alton Brown, but I used a bit more instant yeast and fermented at a much higher temperature for a shorter time. His method develops much more yeast flavor and a slightly better texture, but I wanted pizza tonight instead of tomorrow morning. The crust was fantastic for being whole grain; I used the Oat Bran Blend from Hodgson Mills. Also, I didn't have cornmeal, so I dusted the pan with grits - not a bad substitute.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh YUM. That looks awesome!

Anonymous said...

Dude,
I'm just gonna start having dinner at your house from now on.

Jennifer said...

Wow, that looks great. It's making me crave Fedora's. I'll check out the Alton Brown recipe. He rocks.

P.S. I loved your pictures from Mexico. My co-workers are all Hispanic, born in Mexico and they go to the Del Rio area of TX and into Mexico every year. And I showed them your blog; my boss said if you ever posted the recipe for Gloria's candy, she'd love to have it. (her mother-in-law makes a similar candy starting with sweetened condensed milk, but it's not quite the same)

Keith Shank said...

Jennifer, I might tackle the Gloria's tonight. I have a bunch of milk to use up and tonight would be a great time. I'll fiddle around and see if I can post a rough recipe. I know the Gloria's candies that I bought in the US are terrible, nothing like the real thing.

If you have time to do a long fermentation, do so - it's far more complex.

Ken, we all need to get together sometime for a feast.

Jennifer said...

Keith,
Oh, for a second when I read your response "If you have time to do the long fermentation..." my mind was still on the candy and I was trying to imagine fermented milk candy.... ick.
Jennifer
(I'm doing my own candy making experiment this weekend, bacon toffee... I've seen a few bacon containing dessert recipes lately and the combination sounds great)